Thursday, June 4, 2009

This is a dumb email. Sorry.

To be honest I can never remember what I write in these e-mails. So much happens in the seven days in between that I can't remember where I left off. It doesn't help that every one of those seven days is a Monday either. Ma, you wrote me this week and said that writing my day to days in my e-mails might be a good idea. I've tried not to just because they are boring, but we'll give it a go.
Nauvoo is great. Things are really picking up. You would think it would be hard to memorize all the information for all the different places I serve, but when the Lords asks you to do something and you show your willingness to do it, He gives you all the help you need. And when you are really incapable of the task, it's almost like he does it for you, but you have to be willing. Memorization is NOT my strong point. I've felt that it's one of my downfalls actually, but as long as I put in the time to study and do my best to get it down He will make good on His promise from D&C section 100:6, "[that] it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say". You can do absolutely ANYTHING the Lord asks.
In response to some of your questions...I change companions every transfer, I do cook my own meals (thank goodness) and I will try to get you a picture of me in my dork, I mean, my pioneer clothes. Living arrangements in Nauvoo....get ready to laugh. I, Sister Bailey, who in the past have gladly avoided much female companionship at all, now lives in one house with 13 other sisters. Thirteen. We have three bathrooms, three fridges, three vanities and four bedrooms so it could be worse. It's been okay. I've learned a lot. The thing I am most grateful for is that I have yet to learn how to dress myself. Many of you know this, but matching, along with memorizing , is not a strong point for me. Nor do I care much about it. In Nauvoo I have the opportunity to live with 12 outfit police and as a result I can walk out the door knowing that, even though I am not in a pair of jeans or sweats, my top does indeed match my skirt, no matter what the color or pattern. Also, apparently black shoes don't go with everything. This is news to me, and I haven't exactly figured it out. Who knows, maybe I'll get there someday.
The best part of my week was Sunday. The whole day was on fire! Sacrament meeting, district meeting and service!!! I was able to go to Carthage to serve for the day. It was such a blessing. I hadn't noticed how much I missed it. Everything about it, the tours, the video, the Rebers (a senior couple serving there), the drive!!!! I can't remember a drive that had me that excited. I haven't smiled that much since transfers. It was so good to be back. The drive down was stunning. The Mississippi was sparkling with sunlight. It looked as if Barrett Crow (the 7 year old autistic boy I had in summer camp last year and adored) had dumped all the silver glitter he could get his little hands on into the water. For some reading this that description won’t make much sense, and I apologize, but it's the best one I’ve got. When I arrived Elder Reber was walking up the walkway. I smiled as we shook hands. With that familiar grin he said, "Welcome home Sister Bailey!". It was the cherry on top of the sundae! I almost ran into the Visitor's Center, hugged Sister Reber, and took the first tour. I was able to take the last one too, and both were so good! Oh the feeling in that room! I will never get over the feeling in that room. I love to be there. I love to teach there. I love to learn and think in there. It is hard to believe that a room in which such an awful scene played out could later be so sacred, so special. The ride home was just as peaceful as the ride there. The sun was just starting to set and the reflection off the water was almost blinding. My thoughts have been revolving around Joseph Smith lately. As I stared out the window at the trees and that water and the riverbank and the sun I couldn't help but recall Joseph's description of the first vision. "I saw a light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun which descended gradually until it fell upon me...and when the light rested upon me I saw two personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air". Above the brightness of the sun. The sun reflecting off the water on that drive was brighter than I have ever seen. I can't even imagine what it must have been like. How do you accurately describe such an experience? How do you do it justice?
Anyway, I'm running out of time and can't remember what else I was trying to say. I'm now lost in the first vision.

I love you all.

Sister Bailey

p.s. this e-mail doesn't make much sense. Sorry about that. I'll try to do better next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment