Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"I've got a shirt and shoes and I don't smoke. I must be doin' okay!"

I feel like I've been going a mile a minute with these e-mails. I'm want to slow down a little, back up and cool down. This desire comes with perfect timing! I finally have a little more to say about Nauvoo!!! Things are picking up and the Young Preforming missionaries are here and things are beginning to move a little faster. That seems to be how I work. When my surroundings are slow my mind races, and when my surroundings speed up, my mind takes a load off. Or at least a short break. I am also trudging my way through Talmadge's "Jesus The Christ" and that combined with all the ta-do of the summer months in Nauvoo should keep me plenty busy.
SO, I have come to a conclusion about Nauvoo. If you hate America then you should definitely cross Nauvoo off of your "things do to" list. This place loves America, and how could you not? This is the promise land after all! I can't wait for Forth of July! The productions that are now taking place are "Just plain Anna Amanda", "High Hopes and River Boats", "Rendezvous", and "Sunset by the Mississippi". All of them are fantastic. We meet and visit with some 300+ people everyday. I'm amazed at some of the people who just stumble on to this place not having a clue as to what it is, why it's here and who owns the Visitor's Center. We had two young men walk in to ask if they could park their truck here for the weekend. When one of the Elders went to find out I asked if they had ever been to Nauvoo before. They both put their hands on their hips and took a long look around. One finally said, "No. I mean, what is this place? a museum?" I smiled and said no, but that I would be happy to give them tour while we were waiting. They were more than happy to. We talked about Joseph Smith, The Book Of Mormon, the early Saints, the Temple, the persecution, the faith, the sacrifices and the peace. They were rather disturbed at the persecution the early Saints went through. They wanted to know why people kept chasing them out, destroying their homes, their farms, and their families. They needed an explanation. Nothing I said of the fear of things that are different or the politics satisfied them. It bothered them. To tell you the truth all the anger and violence doesn't make much sense to me either. I told them that as they walked away. They both took some Comment cards to fill out and then they were gone. As they left I thought about our discussion. It's true. As you learn about what the early members of the church went through you find yourself wondering why. I know that when there is something good in the world, there is always opposition. In the "Joseph Smith; The Prophet of the Restoration" movies there is a quote that I like. It says, "When we are accomplishing the most good, that is when we face the most opposition.” The question that leaves is not so much why the anger, or why the violence, those are thing fueled by the Advisary. He is not going to let this work go forth un-challenged. He will do all he can to try and thwart it. We can find peace in knowing that even his best efforts, as powerful as he is, cannot and will not be triumphant. "The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. The truth will go forth boldly nobly and independent! Til it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country and sounded in every ear! Til the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehova shall say, 'the work is done'". But I've strayed from my original train of thought. The question that is left to ponder is why, after all they went through, did the Saints press forward? Why didn't they call it quits? Why did Joseph and Hyrum Smith give their lives for all of this? Why do the young men and women take two years of their lives and dedicate it to getting rejected and turned down and having door after door shut in their faces?
Faith. Faith in Jesus Christ. He is where they put their everything. He is what their lives, their families their faith was centered on and I know many that I could say the same for. "We walk by faith not by sight" (2Corinthians5:7) "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidences of things not seen" (Hebrews11:1) "But without Faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that comes unto God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him". Ether 12 is a Chapter in The Book of Mormon that I cannot wait to get into! One would be hard pressed to find a more riveting dissertation on the topic of Faith. Alma 32 does a good job, but Ether 12 is, or has been recently, one of my favorites. If any one is looking for a good read I would suggest any of the passages above. They have helped me so much to gain a greater understanding of faith and faith is one thing you cannot have enough of.
Oh yeah! Nauvoo. :) Things are busy. We work all day, everyday, and barely have time to eat. But it all gets done. We are putting on a "Sociable" on the 19th of July. Sociables are what they call Sunday night firesides out here. We have to sing. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....yeah). We practice every night we have the chance and I spend 50% of the time trying to figure out what people are talking about (octave, descant, measure) and the other 50% of the time trying to find where we are in the song. Apparently, the Lords wants me to be able to sing. I wish Him the best of luck and find comfort in knowing that HE knows that I can only offer my best efforts. I'm trying. It takes me back to 5th and 6th grade chorus performances. When I really get lost I just imagine my old music teacher from elementary school waving her little hand in spasmodic motions with her hair sprayed do bouncing up in down. Distracting as it is, it keeps me entertained and brings a smile to my face.

Pray for me. :)

I love you all. You dance through my thoughts and prayers <3
I love this work. I will gladly do it all the days of my life.

Sister Bailey

P.S. The subject title of this e-mail is a response I received from an old lady who came in when I asked her how she was doing. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm still laughing at the line: "I wish Him the best of luck...". I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete